A new fixture on the St. John’s skyline is The Rooms, the recently opened facility housing a museum, art gallery, and archives. The name “The Rooms” comes from the name of the fishing facilities where families came together to process their catch.
The Rooms is a tall and grand structure that is even more impressive from a distance since it is so prominent on the skyline of St. John’s.
In the upper right, beside the Basilica of St. John’s the Baptist, is The Rooms.
The view from inside The Rooms, looking out to Signal Hill.
Inside The Rooms. The archives are to the right and one of the art galleries is to the left.
The last of the Beothuks, the aboriginal people on Newfoundland when the Europeans arrived. They numbered less than a thousand at the time, and were very reclusive, occasionally coming into conflict with the settlers. Shanawdithit, the last known Beothuk, died in St. John’s, Newfoundland in 1829.